• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Disney's live-action "Snow White" won't be white and won't feature dwarwes

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.

Disney responds to Peter Dinklage's criticism of Snow White remake​

Disney has responded to criticism made by Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage about its forthcoming live action adaptation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Dinklage said the remake of the 1937 animated film, based on story from the Brothers Grimm, was "backward".

Disney said it was going to "avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film".
Dinklage had said Disney should have reassessed the project.
"I was a little taken aback by [the fact] they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White," he told podcaster Marc Maron.
"But you're still telling the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Take a step back and look at what you're doing there, it makes no sense to me."

Dinklage - who stars in the forthcoming Oscar-tipped film Cyrano - has a form of dwarfism called achondroplasia.
The actor has previously spoken about the representation of dwarfism, saying it was "bad writing" to make it a "dominant character trait".
The original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs film, released in 1938, was the first full-length animated feature from Disney, and is considered one of the studio's classics.
West Side Story star Rachel Zegler and Red Notice actress Gal Gadot are set to star in the adaptation, as Snow White and the Evil Queen respectively.

Speaking about the new film, Dinklage acknowledged Disney's casting of a Latina actress in the leading role, but said further progressive casting was needed when it came to the other character
s.
"You're progressive in one way but you're still making that backward story of seven dwarves living in the cave," he said. "Have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soap box? I guess I'm not loud enough.
"They were so proud of that, and all love and respect to the actress and the people who thought they were doing the right thing but I'm just like, 'What are you doing?'"

British Paralympian swimmer Will Perry, who has publicly condemned people who abuse him, said people with dwarfism were often portrayed as "mythical or comical characters" on film and TV.
He told Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I know loads of people who love [Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs] for the right reason... but we are now in the 21st Century.
"People like Disney, who have influence over young people, need to be influencing them in the right direction."
In a statement, Disney said the live action remake will be an updated version of the original 1937 film.
"We are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community," it said in a statement.
"We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period."
Oscar-nominated producer Marc Platt, who also worked on Disney's live-action rendition of The Little Mermaid, is set to produce the film.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60135547

I'm far from being the kind of guy who screams "wokism" all the time but this is a going too far.
They are making a remake of a movie called "Snow-White and the 7 dwarves", based on a german fairy-tale, in which :
- The main character is called snow-white because her skin as white as snow, yet they casted a latina actress for the part
- It is said she meets 7 dwarves, yet there won't be dwarves in the movie.
- The main antagonist is her step-mother, who's played by the cery same actress who played Cleopatra, an egyptian queen from greek ancestry

I guess they will also supress the poisonous apple and replace it with raw meat (to please vegans) and, instead of marrying the Prince Charming after he woke her up with an (unsollicited) kiss she will kick him in the balls and marry her (black trans) handmaiden, right.

Anyways, I use to have much respect for Dinklage but not anymore. If he can't understand that the Dwarves in Snow White are fantasy creatures, like elves or fairies, he's deeply stupid...

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
Anyways, I use to have much respect for Dinklage but not anymore. If he can't understand that the Dwarves in Snow White are fantasy creatures, like elves or fairies, he's deeply stupid...
I know right, how dare a person with actual dwarfism be annoyed that a story that has directly to led negative stereotypes against people born with his condition for many decades be trotted out for yet another outing. Who does he think he is!

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
I know right, how dare a person with actual dwarfism be annoyed that a story that has directly to led negative stereotypes against people born with his condition for many decades be trotted out for yet another outing. Who does he think he is!
"Fantasy" dwarves are not short humans, they are not people who happens to have achondroplasia. They are non-human intelligent beings, just like elves, hobbits, fairies, etc.

The problem here is not the representation of dwarfs in fiction, it is the fact of using the word "dwarf" to designate humans with a disability that causes them, among other symptoms, a short stature.
Instead of changing centuries-old fairy tales, we should instead stop referring to people with this disability by an adjective that dehumanizes them.

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
"Fantasy" dwarves are not short humans, they are not people who happens to have achondroplasia. They are non-human intelligent beings, just like elves, hobbits, fairies, etc.

The problem here is not the representation of dwarfs in fiction, it is the fact of using the word "dwarf" to designate humans with a disability that causes them, among other symptoms, a short stature.
Instead of changing centuries-old fairy tales, we should instead stop referring to people with this disability by an adjective that dehumanizes them.
I don't think you really read a word that Dinklage said tbh, or you did and you chose to disregard pretty much every word of it.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...m-Peter-Dinklage-canceling-seven-dwarves.html
Interesting backlash Peter is facing from others in the community, including the guy who played Hornswoggle in WWE. It's even referred to as a "dream role" for some.

In regards to re-casting different ethnicities/communities, George Takei was against retroactively making Sulu gay in the new Star Trek, and that if the studio wanted representation, they should have made a new character instead.
I think that is the better approach; retroactively changing an established character seems contrived and pandering at best. Films like Encanto, Raya, Moana and Coco show that you can have successful films with original characters showcasing what these communities have to offer, and that results in much more appreciation for the culture. They should focus on making more films like these instead of simply recasting old material.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
I never thought I would EVER say this, but Johan is right. Snow White, and the 7 Dwarves, is a classic, and is about as far from reality as one can get. There is no reason to P.C. the fucking thing all to hell. If people are offended by it, they have to much time on their hands, and over think things to much.

afterlights

Tip: install a spycam in your toilet.
It could be upsetting or controversial if it's ignoring actual historical persons, but I find it hard to wrap my head around changes to fictional characters.