• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

MLB 2021

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Fernando Tatis got his payday and Tim Tebow finally retires from baseball.
https://www.mlb.com/news/tim-tebow-retiring-from-baseball

In a surprise development, the Dodgers and Yankees are favored to meet in the World Series.
1613666757059.png

As pitchers begin to report to camp, it's time for me to write off the season. Nothing like the three teams which I have a rooting interest in being written off before they report to Spring Training.
1613666331816.png

(Playoff odds courtesy FanGraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds/fg/mlb)

Reactions: sj1

sj1

Love & Basketball
Fernando Tatis got his payday and Tim Tebow finally retires from baseball.
https://www.mlb.com/news/tim-tebow-retiring-from-baseball

In a surprise development, the Dodgers and Yankees are favored to meet in the World Series.
View attachment 859013

As pitchers begin to report to camp, it's time for me to write off the season. Nothing like the three teams which I have a rooting interest in being written off before they report to Spring Training.
View attachment 859012

(Playoff odds courtesy FanGraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds/fg/mlb)
I think the Orioles % to make the Playoffs was boosted & given to high of a %. I am positive I will never see them playing in the World Series in my lifetime and do not see any hope for a deep playoff run, just to make the playoffs would be an amazing feat. The Orioles are rebuilding at a stone age pace. The only hope is a new majority owner but doubtful. I mean last season seemed normal for attendance as most seasons the stands are empty with just a small sprinkle of fans. Only positive to this if you go hoping to get a foul ball your odds are pretty good as there are more foul balls, home runs then fans. Only time they have a decent crowd is when the good teams come in and their fans come making it a road home game. :facepalm::(

gmase

I think the Orioles % to make the Playoffs was boosted & given to high of a %. I am positive I will never see them playing in the World Series in my lifetime and do not see any hope for a deep playoff run, just to make the playoffs would be an amazing feat. The Orioles are rebuilding at a stone age pace. The only hope is a new majority owner but doubtful. I mean last season seemed normal for attendance as most seasons the stands are empty with just a small sprinkle of fans. Only positive to this if you go hoping to get a foul ball your odds are pretty good as there are more foul balls, home runs then fans. Only time they have a decent crowd is when the good teams come in and their fans come making it a road home game. :facepalm::(
The Orioles need a change of division. A run is possible (not imminent) given some time - think Tampa - as the O's have a top-10 farm system. [So do the Jays and Rays though. :(] The Yankees and Sox can just spend.

sj1

Love & Basketball
I do not mind the division. The Red Sox have reduced their payroll a lot as they said no more big spending. At least for a year or 2 until the fans get on them. The way the Owner treats players who are great players, team leaders & do a lot in the community. But the owner gets rid of them. A few examples were Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Jonathan Schoop, Nelson Cruz, Jonathan Villar, José Iglesias & Hanser Alberto. Plus if they draft a young player once it is time for a contract worth 3$ - $8 million a year they trade them. I do not expect them tp spend $30 million a year but they you can not compete with a team filled with Rule 5 players, guys not ready for the big leagues plus they have them play out of position, players who are in the twilight of their careers, signing older players to minor league deals, will make a little over a million dollars if they make team, they hope they pitch or play well to trade for a prospect.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I'm glad you have Felipe Alou's son, Luis Rojas as the manager. He's very good and consistent. He'll be a very good manager. Like Terry Collins. Those two latest manager hirings by the Wilpons, Beltran and Calloway, were disasters.

And I appreciate the dislike.But c'mon celebrating a "hypothetical" WS game seven? You'll be lucky to come in third in the NL East this year. That is if the Marlins don't get hot. You ain't beating the Braves. You ain't beating the Nationals. However, you'll probably beat out the Phillies.

At least you have an owner in Steve Cohen who finally cares. We'll talk more when your team has more WS rings.

LET'S GO METS!!

(just in case anyone needs to know where my allegiance lies, lol)
When the Giants play the Mets, keep on putting Dominic Smith out in left field. He's awesome. In two games, he managed to bang into Rosario twice and he dropped the ball twice. Allowing Andrew McCutchen to score from third base in 2017 and Alex Dickerson to score from first base in 2019. Both victories for the Gigantes.

(Like Richie Ashburn and Elio Chacon in 1962! :) -- Yo la Tengo! :LOL:)

https://www.mlb.com/video/jacob-rhame-in-play-run-s-to-pablo-sandoval

Giants walkoff.JPG

Last edited:

gmase

Stop the bragging guys! My teams - somehow - got worse during Spring Training. I'm staring at 300 losses for the season.

1617109902856.png

I need to jump on someone's bandwagon. Maybe the Friars?

gmase

Happy Opening Day to all.

There is no chance of snow at today’s home opener in Denver. (Hopefully everyone took the under.) The Dodgers have a clear path to victory.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The Giants haven't opened at home in almost fifteen straight years. This year is no exception. They play in Seattle tonight.

sj1

Love & Basketball
Since the O's & Red Sox game was PPD that means one more day we are in 1st Place. 😂🥳🎆🎉🍾 All down hill after that. Be amazed if we win 50 games this year and hopefully no football scores while the other teams light up the score board.

gmase

Hey, the Pirates and Rockies won! The Dodgers need to acquaint themselves with the rule book a little more. And - Detroit got the snow. Can we call the season?

legmann61

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, Freeones lasts forever
I'm glad you have Felipe Alou's son, Luis Rojas as the manager. He's very good and consistent. He'll be a very good manager. Like Terry Collins. Those two latest manager hirings by the Wilpons, Beltran and Calloway, were disasters.

And I appreciate the dislike. But c'mon celebrating a "hypothetical" WS game seven? You'll be lucky to come in third in the NL East this year. That is if the Marlins don't get hot. You ain't beating the Braves. You ain't beating the Nationals. However, you'll probably beat out the Phillies.

At least you have an owner in Steve Cohen who finally cares. We'll talk more when your team has more WS rings.

My dislike to your misguided post was all in good sportsman's fun. But I'm sure (or hope) you know that, John :)

As for the Mets, this is the strongest squad I've seen since 2015....perhaps not a WS contender but definitely playoff contender.
Here's my prediction for the NL East:

Mets 92-70
Braves 91-71
Nationals 83-79
Phillies 81-81
Marlins 76-86

- Braves will be tough, agreed. Good rotation but not as deep as the Mets, especially with Stroman pitching his ass off for a new contract and the return of Thor and Carrasco
- deGrom will likely win 17-20 games behind this very deep offense and win his 3rd Cy Young (it won't even be close)
- Pete Alonso will be the NL home run king again and likely put himself in the running for NL MVP (unless Lindor beats him out)
- Jeff McNeil will finish in the top three in batting average - he might even win it outright
- the Lindor acquisition was HUGE, biggest add in all of the NL, no question whatsoever
- bullpen "might" be an issue, but I'm very happy with the additions of May and Loup. I also expect a big bounce back from Diaz, not to mention the return of Lugo

I'm being generous with the Nets winning 83 games. They're the one team I'm probably least worried about.
The Phillies re-upped Realmuto but did little else. They'll struggle to reach .500 as they usually do - just because they're the Phillies, lol
I really don't see the Marlins as a major factor this year, but kudos to Mattingly who's a pretty good manager given the few pieces he has

I'm VERY happy with the Mets and their roster depth right now. I also see them being very aggressive at the trade deadline should they need more pieces.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Hey, the Pirates and Rockies won! The Dodgers need to acquaint themselves with the rule book a little more. And - Detroit got the snow. Can we call the season?
I saw that play. Honestly, that should have been a home run that Cody hit. I remember the Jose Canseco play when he was with the Rangers. The ball hit his head and went over the wall for a home run. Cody passed Turner, he's called out with just a single. You don't pass the runner ahead of you. It's a very hard decision because Justin did what he was supposed to do. He thought the ball was caught. He passed second base. He had to retouch second base and he ran back to first. Bellinger couldn't do much at that point. Dave Roberts argued the call. But they couldn't get the umpires to overturn the play on the field.

Good to see the Dodgers lose. Raimel Tapia made Kerchoke's life miserable. Those two RBIs were key. Though I think Jimmy Nelson was the losing pitcher. Depends on the official scorer.

As for the Giants, good to see Evan Longoria and Buster Posey start off good. Each with home runs. An early 5-0 opening against the Mariners. Now it is 6-1.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The SFG bullpen is killing me. Matt Wisler, Jarlin Garcia, and Tyler Rogers all suck. Seattle is now winning 7-6 still in the bottom of the 8th. Only one out.

Alex Dickerson ties it up! Home run to CF. :)

Last edited: